Monday, September 28, 2015

Personal Experience

Being that it's 2015, I think that everyone has either seen, heard, or been in some sort of racial issue. With everything that's been going on with police brutality against African Americans people know that the hate of certain skin colors is at its peak once again. If its not on television, its on the radio, the internet, or even in common conversations. Racial issues are very much alive and present. I know this is true because recently I experienced this.

About 2 weeks ago I went shopping. I wanted some nice pieces so I decided to go to a particular area in Little Rock. I had been there about an hour and managed to rack up about three bags with clothes and shoes. I had gotten tired so I decided to go to one last store and then leave. To keep from bashing to store I won't give away the name. I walked in and immediately the employees began to stare at me. It was awkward, but I continued to walk around the store. Maybe that wasn't a good idea because it wasn't long before on of them started to follow me, noticeably. Looking past the situation I might have been in a found three pieces I decided to buy. 


I went to the register, the cashier rang up my items, and when it was time for me to pay she finally spoke. She said, "Are you sure you can afford this?" Naturally you could understand my rage and confusion. I was lost for words. I asked her, "What makes you think I can't afford it?". From the bags in my hands from previous stores it was evident that I had money. She gave me a stern look and replied,"I know how your kind is." Immediately I knew what she was talking about. While I looked around to see who had heard what she had just said I looked at the other customers. With no doubt they were lighter than me or Caucasian. None of them were being followed or harrassed like I was. 


After that situation I quietly walked out of the store. I couldn't believe what had just happened. A full blown racial issue that I was unfortunately apart of. It wasn't because I was African American. It was because I wasn't light enough to get a pass. I didn't appear to blend in with the other Caucasian customers like the other lighter toned African Americans. Part of me think it happened for a reason; just so I can blog about it lol, and the other half just makes me realize what kind of world that we live in today. How it's possible that the issues of skin color and skin tones just won't change.  


Sources: https://www.google.com/search?q=racial+conflict&es_sm=122&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIqa-5rdmayAIVAaMeCh3fcg0D#tbm=isch&q=skin+tone+conflict+with+society&imgrc=fux3HbVwBVq42M%3A



2 comments:

  1. That is really terrible, I can't believe we still have to put up with stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I wish people could see quality in the world.

    ReplyDelete